VANILLA SUGAR COOKIES
These Vanilla sugar cookies are so versatile and can be decorated with fondant and or royal icing. They are perfect for birthday parties and thank you gifts and are super easy to make.
FOR THE COOKIES
- 280g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 170g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 140g castor sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
FOR THE ICING
- Fondant Icing
- Colouring of your choice
FOR THE COOKIES
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of your standup mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until completely smooth and creamy, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat on high speed until incorporated, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl and make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Dough will be soft. If the dough seems too soft, add and extra 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Divide dough into 2 batches and wrap with cling film and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours, or maximum 2 days.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celcius. Use an oven thermometer to insure the right temperature.
- Line your biscuit tray with grease proof paper and dust with flour.
- Lightly dust your bench with flour, and roll your dough out evenly to approx 1/4 inch thick and cut with your preferred cookie cutter. Once cut transfer your cookies onto your baking tray, placing the cookies at least 5cm apart.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Decorate the cooled cookies with fondant using the same cookie cutters. Use a small paintbrush to paint your cookie with water, sugar syrup or edible glue, to get your fondant to stick. Decorated with sprinkles and embossers.
- Enjoy cookies right away or store in an airtight container. These cookies are great for gifting. Cookies will last for about 5 days when covered tightly at room temperature. For longer storage, cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days.